Saturday, January 11, 2014

Catch up - January 11, 2014

Had another restless night, up every hour (I timed them) to 'void' and he usually does.  I left at 5 am to go home and sleep for an hour and get clean clothes; he was still sleeping.  Is up by 8 here at rehab.  the staff is great and they love Kris, but I can't stay here 24 hrs a day - and he needs more than just have his meals served; talked to nurse last night and she indicated the nursing staff felt the same way, that he needed more one on one care and they were going to discuss on Monday... so a new day.  

Today he and I walked over to the Memory Care Unit - I wasn't expecting much but was VERY pleasantly surprised.  The residents were out and about, all stopped to talk to Kris and comment on his height, he visited with most of the men.. there was a husband/wife team scheduled to play guitar and sing and they invited us to stay.  Kris really enjoyed the music and again when we were leaving he shook several hands and hugged several of the CNAs :); there is a military honor wall there and he went to it several times.  Looked around at the rooms, etc.  They are nice and they come empty so we would provide bed, furniture, decorations, etc.  When we left he said that was a nice place... and again, I felt very good about it and the staff

He ate well, and was fairly focused for awhile this morning and we talked about going home vs staying awhile longer at this 'other place'... i know he doesn't understand or won't retain but..   We then spoke with the admission manager (Kris was with me), and they do have a room available, etc - they will all meet on Monday.  They were hoping he could stay in rehab the 20 days but I said it wasn't working , it would be better at home... that being said, I called an RN friend of mine and neighbor to discuss that option (I know I know).  Will sleep on it today and tomorrow... I need to make a decision so he can get adjusted.  

He is eating well, and seems happy in am.   They are doing speech and physical therapy, although not much as he's not too cooperative.  Apparently they added another 'dementia/alz' med yesterday x2.  I noticed Kris using his hands as if he were splicing at work, icky-pick and all; and stepping on the carpet like it had glue on it.  I asked today and they told me about the med, i requested notification before any meds were added to explain the reasoning and side effects.  I will talk with the doctor on Monday and they will not give him those meds till then. 

One of our neighbor ladies stopped by after lunch and of course Augie came by yesterday.  I left at 2:00 to come home to wash clothes and look at mail, etc., and take Ghoni to Walmart, she is being such a help but can tell she is antsy to get back home.  

I will go back at 4:30 to have dinner and listen to the guitar players in another area, give him a shower and hopefully he will sleep; planning on coming home tonight around 8-9:00 - so I can sleep and so he can adjust to not having me there all the time.  Tomorrow I will take some short leaves and home to sleep again... and we will see what happens Monday and will start working with VA.  Guess that's it for now - questions?  answers?   I still am treading in unknown territory :(,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment